Infrared Serial Communication
2005 — Lawrence, KS
Designed and implemented an optical transceiver that can be connected to a computer through its serial port.
- LM555 - Timer - Configured for continuous, stable operation at 40 kHz.
- RS232 - Line Driver - Interfaced with a PC via the DB9 serial port standard and HyperTerminal.
- TSOP1140 - IR Receiver - Peak reception at 980 nm at 40 kHz.
- TSAL6100 - IR LED - Peak emission at 980 nm.
- 74HC4538 - Retriggerable one-shot - Creates a pulse used to block transceiver reception during transmission.
- Transceiver communicates at a maximum range of 20 feet.
- Operates at up to 4800 baud.